" href="http://forum.afterhoursbbs.com/feed.php?f=15" />

The 100 people who are screwing up america (and Al Franken is #37)

Bookaholics Anonymous

The 100 people who are screwing up america (and Al Franken is #37)

Postby Aardvark » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:50 am

Today I walked into Barnes and Noble after work and right next to the door prominently displayed was Bernard Goldberg’s new book 100 People Who are Screwing up America (and Al Franken is #37). I am familiar with Goldberg’s previous works, though I have never read them myself, and I must say, if they are like this book, I never will. I know over the years Goldberg has shifted slowly more to the conservative side of things but this book reads like any other blatantly bias conservative mouthpiece drek. The only thing making it better than a Hannity book or a Coulter book is the fact that Goldberg has the decency to say in the very beginning that this is truly just opinion on his part. He starts off the book okay, describing the different types of people who are hurting America, it is when he gets into the list that the unreasonable arguments wait they aren’t even argument ... assertions begin.
#100 on the list is Rick and Kathy Hilton not for what they do, but for what their daughter Paris does. Which is interesting since #99 ( I think) is Matthew Lesko, that guy on late night television who sells a book on how to get free money from the government. Goldberg’s major gripe with him is how he illustrates how people in America do not take responsibility for their life and want free stuff. Yet this is exactly what he is doing by putting Paris Hilton’s parents on the list, and not Paris Hilton The inconsistence is further stretched when under most of the civil rights leaders he jabs at affirmative action being a crutch for people who want to blame others.
The contradictory reasoning is not just used to put people on the list but also to keep others off. He rails on celebrates that make comments on politics just because they are famous yet no where are any conservative celebrities present. No Arnold, no Venture (more libertarian than conservative) just liberals like Streisand. Heck he even puts Al Gore on the list for inconsistency and switching his positions on policy and ideology to suit the situation. If that is what gets you on the list then Goldberg should have made him self #37, not Al Franken.
Aardvark
Veteran Member

Return to The AnnexThe Annex