[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
After Hours BBS • View topic - Firestarter... The Annex" href="http://forum.afterhoursbbs.com/feed.php?f=15" />

Firestarter...

Bookaholics Anonymous

Firestarter...

Postby Ed Sysop » Sat Oct 14, 2000 9:53 pm

Crimson Rose
(7/11/00 4:12:45 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Well, I found this interesting. Long, a bit bland, but interesting.

My main complaint is that it takes 200 pages for it to get intersting... But I
kinda hope there's a sequal... it'd be interesting to see what happens after she
drops the bombshell...

Oh, and what she did near the end was downright evil. What she did at the
installation.

Don't knock masturbation- it's sex with someone I love...

Make something foolproof, they build a better idiot.
Starfish
(7/21/00 2:59:16 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Firestarter...

Well, I read this book back around 1985 or so, so I don't remember many
details. I loved it though; I read it in one or two days.

As for a sequel, bleh. We all know how those things go. If I remember correctly,
"The Shop" was mentioned in at least a couple other King stories, so there's a
bit of a connection at least. Can't remember which, though. 'The Dead Zone'
maybe?

Crimson Rose
(7/21/00 3:29:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

It's the only novel of his I've read all the way through.

Of course, People are going to compare the Shop with something in my story
land. I'm gearing up for that one...

I prefer Peter David, myself. :@)

There's no point in living if you can't feel alive...
Anne Dralen
(9/15/00 5:07:37 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

What SHE did was evil?! What about what was being done TO her? I say she
shoulda burned everyone involved, but hey, I don't like Big Brudda messin' with
eight year old kids.

I want to see miracles. But I want you to see them too.
Crimson Rose
(9/15/00 5:20:08 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

I guess you're right... It's there in black and white in the Old Testament: An
Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth.

So the fact they are bastards using, manipulating and killing, and to return like
would make you as bad as them is irrelevant...

We the willing. Led by the unknowing. Are doing the impossible. For the Ungrateful. We
do so much with so little. We now can do almost anything with nothing.
Anne Dralen
(9/17/00 5:09:42 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Oh sweet sarcasm...;D. I know that I know better but when it comes to kid
killers I just have to say ^%$# 'em all up the *() till they bleed a thousand
times and--other stuff I'm sure. Plus I have to keep in mind that these are two
dimensional, fictional kid killers...

Crimson Rose
(9/19/00 3:25:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

I'm not debating whether or not they were evil. I'm arguing whether or not it
was right to just wipe out an entire installation.

Was the whole of Soddom corrupt and evil? That was razed to the ground. Was
Hiroshima full of evil Japanese? That was nuked, and the following generations,
born long after, are still suffering to this day.

In war, innocents suffer.

Was it wise to have a complete war against them???

We the willing. Led by the unknowing. Are doing the impossible. For the Ungrateful. We
do so much with so little. We now can do almost anything with nothing.
Anne Dralen
(9/28/00 6:50:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Was it wise to have a complete war against them? I don't know babe, I would
have to be wise to figure that one out. What I do believe is that the people
there knew what their jobs were and that it was dangerous (I'm talking
firestarter, not innocent japanese people). That's the difference as far as I can
think. In Firestarter, these people came to work every day knowing that they
were hurting, manipulating, and using people. Does it still justify murder? Of
course not. And if the story had the dad wiping out all these people, he would
have been an instant villain. That this was not a fully developed child who had
been taken advantage of and threatened to be killed by these people...WAS
what she did evil?

I'm sure Columbine or other young murderers could be an argument...Why would
the little girl be exempt and not the other children? I don't think she is exempt.
But I don't think that she's completely evil either.

Crimson Rose
Charter Member
(9/29/00 5:50:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Which is my assesment as well.

I just had the whole arguement, to play devil's advocate. I wanted to run
through the whole morality of it all, nothing more ;@)

Little Sister is Watching You
Anne Dralen
(9/30/00 7:06:31 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Uh-oh, Little Sister? Do I smell a sequel?

Ah Rose, it's always fun playing devils with you.
Crimson Rose
Charter Member
(9/30/00 2:54:37 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Um... read Kabuki. It's a quote from there, okay?

Little Sister is Watching You
Anne Dralen
Veteran Member
(10/6/00 8:54:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

What's Kabuki? Who wrote it?
Crimson Rose
Charter Member
(10/7/00 2:49:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Kabuki is a comic series written and usually drawn by David Mack.

Kabuki is an assasin for a secret Government aganec, to remove the Crime-lords
and the crime from Japan. However, Her organisation, the Noh, and the
Government is infiltrated- The government in many ways ARE the crime Lords.
She and her fellow agents are used as pawns to wipe out competition.

However, she is faced with the possibility of evening an old blood debt, one
that runs deep in her, for it's generations old...

It's like RoboCop in it's portrayal of a currupted society, and the way the
central character has to learn to cope with the duality of thier nature.

my most brilliant thoughts are the accidental ones...
Ed Sysop

Postby Crimson Rose » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:52 pm

Oddly enough, there IS a sequel. It's a film, and it's bloody long, but that's good, because it has a better chance at telling the story.

It's okay, and is worth a watch. Not an Oscar winner, though, but not a dead fish, either.
Never Underestimate the Dark Side of a blown Lightbulb...
Crimson Rose
Charter Member

Return to The AnnexThe Annex