Nails

Tell us about your hobby

Nails

Postby SKIP » Sat Dec 01, 2001 7:37 am

Let me say at the outset that I am NOT a carpenter. But you'd think that a little task like driving a nail wouldn't be so aggravating.
I started and got the nail half way in when it bent slightly. Now this has happened before and I just continued hammering, adjusting for the slight bend. But this time it didn't work; the nail bent almost at right angles.
I put one of the claws (on the back of the hammer) under the nail and went to straighten it, but the nail spun around. I tried it again with the same result, so I positioned the nail between both claws and proceeded to straighten it as much as I could. Then I moved the claws up higher on the nail and straightened it even more. I started hammering again. I was almost through when that blasted nail bent almost double. I yanked it out and used another nail.
They don't make nails like they used to.
SKIP
Veteran Member

Postby sof007 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:10 pm

i've experienced a lot of such situation,either. instead of using claw to straighten the nail, i use the opposite side of the claw side to hammer the nail to straighten it, however,the result is nearly alike: you have to take another to complete your work.
conclusion: once you find nail becomes slight bent,replacing it is the efficientest way
sof007

Return to HobbiesHobbies