New Pets - Yes more...

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

New Pets - Yes more...

Postby Kashmir » Fri Mar 23, 2001 6:11 am

Well other than staying busy at work I've changed my homelife a little. Not that the animals I had weren't interesting but I've lost and gained a couple. As the people who know me around here know I have reptiles. Lots of them. So lets go through my current pets. I still have Zeppelin (ball python), Orion (female Columbian Red-tailed boa constrictor), Cleopatra (female Guyanan Red-tailed boa constrictor), Pinky & Blinky (two albino corn snakes), Frosty (snow corn snake), Romeo (veiled chameleon), Frankie (veiled chameleon), Clifford (Giant Madagascar day gecko), Leopold & Winky (female leopard geckos) and Mr. Thumb & Maggie Thumb (bearded dragons). Well now people may not know I got Maggie. Maggie is older than Mr. Thumb but is his buddy. The eggs unfortunately didn't hatch so no babies.
I decided to weed down the collection a bit so I traded the gold dust day geckos and schneiders skink in for... a red-eyed tree frog. His name is Mick Patrick (got him on St. Patricks day) and he's in a terrarium with Chili, a fire bellied toad. So they are new and it may seem unbelievable but I got another snake. Ok this one is a male Columbian Red-tailed boa constrictor and his name is Lennon. He's big and he was a rescue. He has (possibly had) an eyecap and the previous owner decided to try to remove it with tweezers... this is a very bad idea. He's not blind, which is the good news. There may still be an eye cap and he's currently shedding and hopefully if all goes well he'll have a good shed and the cap will be removed. If there is no eye cap there's some slight damage to his eye (scratches) but there's no infection which is a good thing. I'll update you all on his condition later when I know more. So far so good. Just got Lennon over the weekend as well. Other than shedding he's also being quarantined until I know he's okay to introduce to my girls and that gives me time to build a bigger cage.
Kashmir
Charter Member

Postby Ed Sysop » Sat Mar 24, 2001 4:30 am

Sounds very cool, Erica. Hope the eye turns out to be ok. Maybe during next shed a little dab of vegetable oil might be helpful to keep things loose.

How are the chameleon eggs coming along?
Ed Sysop

Postby Kashmir » Sat Mar 24, 2001 6:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Sounds very cool, Erica. Hope the eye turns out to be ok. Maybe during next shed a little dab of vegetable oil might be helpful to keep things loose.

How are the chameleon eggs coming along?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>

I found out from a vet you can use saline solution for contact lenses if there's a stuck eye cap. As for the eggs like Louise they didn't quite make it. I don't think I'll be breeding anything anytime soon. Not unless I do a lot of research.

<hr>Time is on my side, yes it is.
Erica
http://www.ericas-designs.com
Erica's Designs
Kashmir
Charter Member

Postby Beeg » Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:36 pm

<p><B><font size=2><font face=comic sans ms><font color="#3333FF">Okay WHAT is an eyecap????? </b></font></font></font>
Beeg
Charter Member

Postby Kashmir » Fri Apr 27, 2001 2:20 pm

An eyecap is part of a snakes shed. You see when a snake sheds it's skin there's a layer of skin over the eyes (Snakes don't have eyelids) and if they have a bad shed they retain the eyecap and it may some off in the next shed. I'm happy to let everyone know that Lennon's shed went well and both eyecaps came off.

<hr>Time is on my side, yes it is.
Erica
http://www.ericas-designs.com
Erica's Designs
Kashmir
Charter Member

Return to PetsPets