My wife and I get our choc lab tomorrow..

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!
Irishguy

My wife and I get our choc lab tomorrow..

Post by Irishguy » Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:14 pm

We both are really excited. We have been married for 2 months and we both have been thinking about getting a dog for quite some time. Any useful training techniques you have would be appreciated.

daydreamr4
Charter Member

Post by daydreamr4 » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:11 am

<font color="#00cc33" face="Comic Sans MS"><b>The most important thing to remember is to never let a puppy do anything that you wouldn't want an adult dog doing. A 15 lb puppy pulling on a leash is nothing compared to a 140 lb adult dog pulling on the leash; but you'll have a hard time convincing the adult that he can't do what he could do as a puppy. </b></font>

Lizzie
Charter Member

Post by Lizzie » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:28 pm

As with any child..be consistent. Decide on the rules and follow them yourself.. If you intermittently stop following through on a behaviour that you do not like..you will re-enforce it. And enjoy!

<hr>I always keep my promises, she said
      Except when I don’t
And I promise to love you forever

Fortunately, I understood exactly

N2yes
Charter Member

Post by N2yes » Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:42 am

<font color=red>Though you may find my methods unorthodox, they work ( keep in mind, I'm a serious animal lover ). To housebreak, verbally scold with the pup in extremely close proximity to the area soiled and immediately ( no hesitation at all )take outside. This will require Pavolovian conditioning to an extent as the puppy learns to associate his or her waste with unwanted incidents of you raising your voice followed by rapid temporary eviction from the house. Now, this is not cruel folks, not even close...I could never condone cruelty to animals. However, in their formative periods, which by the way, takes place over a much reduced time frame than our own, the dog looks to the master for "shaping"...teaching as it were. They are not like us and can therefore learn faster with a more natural, straight-to-the-point dynamic delivery. In other words, you're the boss, they need you to show them the ropes ( mama ain't around if ya know what i mean ). If the puppy responds well to this regimen after about a week( or less ), commence rewarding him or her each time they make an effort to go to the door to let you know or whatever. This is a crucial component in the design...YOU MUST provide positive reinforcement at the first sign of awareness!! You, of course, continue with this reward program ( I highly recommend a slice of bologna or cheese---bologna they typically go for quicker )until there is 100% compliance. What's really great is that the animal can be taught to do tricks using a very similar program. More on that later. BTW, this virtually insignificant part of their diet will do them absolutely zero harm and they will love you all the more for it!!</font id=red>

<hr>Identity emerges with the spoken word. Wisdom shines in silence.

Ed Sysop

Post by Ed Sysop » Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
We both are really excited. We have been married for 2 months and we both have been thinking about getting a dog for quite some time. Any useful training techniques you have would be appreciated.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>

Yes, give her a treat and pat her on the head whenever she makes dinner. And phrases like "good girl" work really well when she comes through in the sack.

Teach her that when she's getting her period, her emotions are out of kilter, and that she should save the arguments for a week to see if they still make sense.

Aside from that, make sure the she rinses the dishes after washing them.

Oh, wait....did you mean the lab?

Lizzie
Charter Member

Post by Lizzie » Thu Jul 26, 2001 9:38 pm

Ed: You are a very naughty man. I would spank you if I were THAT kind of a woman. Deb will have to pull up on the leash......

Except when I don’t

Robert_Browning
Charter Member

Post by Robert_Browning » Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:23 pm

If he needs spanking, luv, I could send my friend Ian or Jason. Either of them would probably enjoy it tremendously....

<hr>Whoso loves
Believes the impossible

Ed Sysop

Post by Ed Sysop » Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Ed: You are a very naughty man. I would spank you if I were THAT kind of a woman.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>

You mean you're not that kind of woman?!?!?!?!?

Lizzie
Charter Member

Post by Lizzie » Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:24 pm

</font id=size1><font face='Papyrus'>(sometimes...)</font id='Papyrus'><font size=1>

Except when I don’t